The Book of Blaseball
(Redirected from The Forbidden Book)
The Book of Blaseball (also colloquially The Forbidden Book, The Rulebook, or The Book) is the Official Rulebook of Blaseball. The Game of ████████████ and ██████████.
It is presumed to be an object of unknown providence that is inseparably intertwined with the past, present, and future of the splort of Blaseball. The book currently contains six chapters, with each chapter containing a number of rules pertaining to the splort.
Opening the Forbidden Book
In Season β1, the book first made itself publicly known in the form of a decree available to participants of blaseball. Following the inaugural Internet Series, the decree called Open the Forbidden Book was successfully passed with 556 votes, or 61% of all decree votes. The immediate results of this decree were as follows:
- The Book Opens.
- Solar Eclipse.
- Umpiress' eyes turn white.
- Star player Jaylen Hotdogfingers is incinerated.
- Hellmouth swallows the Moab Desert.
- THE DISCIPLINE ERA BEGINS
In Season 1 the book reappeared in a new decree called NEW Open the Forbidden Book. 62% of all decree votes were for this decree and the book was opened again. The immediate results were as follows:
- THE BOOK OPENS
- SOLAR ECLIPSE
- UMPIRES' EYES TURN WHITE
- STAR PLAYER ANASTASIA ISAROBOT IS INCINERATED. THEY ARE REPLACED ON THE MEXICO CITY WILD WINGS BY GÖRAN NDOYE.
- STAR PLAYER TERRELL BRADLEY'S ALTERNATE IS CALLED.
- STAR PLAYER ZEPHYR MCCLOUD IS CURSED. EYES CLEAR. HEART FILLS. THEY CAN'T LOSE.
- STAR PLAYER SIMON HALEY SWEARS IN. THEY EMBARK ON A SIDE QUEST IN THE SHADOWS. PIXIE CARBERRY CLOCKS IN.
- BRECKENRIDGE BREAKS
- THE CORONATION ERA BEGINS.
The book contains seven chapters, with each chapter containing enumerated rules pertaining to Blaseball. After the chapters, the book was signed by what appeared to be 19 names prior to Season 1.
The book's text was heavily redacted at the time of its reveal. Text redactions have since been removed at unpredictable and unannounced intervals. The current state of the book can be examined by all registered participants at this location.
- Playing the Game
- █████ and You
Following Season 1 the book was heavily altered. The new chapters are as follows:
- An Introduction
- The League
- The Seasons
- The Game
- League Management
- The Immaterial Plane
This section reflects the book as it appeared at the end of that season, before any future changes or reveals were enacted.
Beginning on Season β3 Day 1, sections of the book began to remove text redactions, making more of the rules legible. These revelations have continued beyond Season 3 at unpredictable and unannounced intervals.
- Article 5.g. previously read, "Splortsmanship, Splortsmanship, ██████". Perhaps as a response to the events of Peanut Fraud and Blasphemy, it was un-redacted to: "Splortsmanship, Splortsmanship, is DEAD." After the Season β3 finals, it was updated to read: "Splortsmanship, Splortsmanship, is BACK."
- Article 5.e. previously read: "If at any time, ████████████████ atone ████████████████ one million Peanuts". At the beginning of Season β4 due to the Blasphemy of Season 3, it was updated to read: "
If at any time the Fans have angered the Blaseball Gods, they may atone by eating one million Peanuts.STRIKE TWO"
- After the Season β4 finals, the Eat The Rich decree was enshrined in the rulebook as article 5.h. (which is placed after 5.e. and not 5.f.).
- Passages related to Divine Favor (such as article 2.a.) have been un-redacted as a response to the tie in the Season β5 playoffs.
- The 19 signatories at the end of the book were previously entirely redacted. Now the first letters, "H", "A," "N," and "M" have appeared for four of the redacted names/titles.
The Forbidden Book, Revised
The major change on Page 1 of the book came in Section 6, "█████ and You". Rule 6b, which was previously used to grant Ascension, has now been stricken from the book. Additionally, rule 6c, which read "c. When teams are sent to ████████████████, they shall return once ████████████████████████ the Under." was stricken out and replaced with a new rule, reading "c. When teams are sent to ██████████, they shall return once ██████████████████████████████████████ Blasphemy."
Rule 5j, which read "5j. Nothing truly matters." was stricken.
Additionally, one of the signatories at the bottom of Page 1, only known as "M," has had their initial crossed out.
Page 2 is a brand new addition to the Book, appearing in the wake of the very same Season 11 Election Results. This page has 10 sections, one for Arcana, and nine more for the different decrees offered during Season 11. Most sections have three to four rules, except for number 9, Sink, which only has a single rule.
The first section, "Arcana," refers to "the First Reading." The second section, "Bury," refers to the Hall of Flame. The third section, "Burn," is nearly entirely redacted, only referring to "Days 27 & 72".
The fourth section, "Close - Ballparks," was one of the decrees chosen by fans in Season 11, and as such, the text is displayed in all green. Rule 4a reads "a. Teams shall build Ballparks in their Image." Rule 4b, partially redacted, only shows "Home Games at their Ballpark." Rules 4c and 4d are fully redacted. Currently, above Close - Ballparks, there is red text stating "PROJECT SUSPENDED, PENDING INVESTIGATION."
The fifth section, "Deface - Wills," was one of the decrees chosen by fans in Season 11, and as such, the text is displayed in all green. Rule 5a reads "a. Fans shall bend the Election to their Will." Rule 5b refers to the Election, and Rule 5c, partially redacted, only shows "Fairness, each Team shall win the same number of Wills."
The sixth section, "Eat - Concessions," was one of the decrees chosen by fans in Season 11, and as such, the text is displayed in all green. Rule 6a reads "a. The League shall sell Concessions to the Fans." Rule 6b is partially redacted and implies that concessions will "expand their earning potential and betting experience."
The seventh section, "Freeze," only refers to "improvements" in rule 7a. The eighth section, "Shred," only makes references to Rivalries and Alliances. The ninth section, "Sink", has only one rule, which is largely redacted, only referring to Below Zero. The tenth and final section is Trash," which refers to Pitchers and Hitters in rules 10b and 10c, respectively.
On the Re-opening
When the book was reopened in Season 1, the contents were much different to previous versions. At the time of it's reopening, the only section where text was left unredacted was the first section. Beginning in the Offseason of that Season, sections of the text began to be unredacted starting with the second section, then revealed to be "2. The League" as well as parts of section 6 that were recited by the Umpires after the Season 1 election.