Umpires are entities charged with the enforcement of the rules of Blaseball. This refers both to the abstract and nameless umpires that Blaseball teams interact inside of games, as well as the named umpires who speak to all Blaseball fans via the internet.
Their secondary purpose is to declare a Siesta, during which the games will not be viewable, and improvements (such as the addition of bigger machines) can be made.
The origin and species of Umpires are unknown.
Named umpires are an informal designation for league officials who communicate with Blaseball fans via the internet, and are present during the events of every season. These umpires will occasionally declare a Siesta, during which the games will not be viewable and improvements (such as the addition of bigger machines) can be made. The named umpires are occasionally found speaking with fans in the Blaseball Discord.
Outside of official correspondence, the named umpires are characters representing one of Blaseball's game designers at The Game Band with the exception of Raúl, a fictional character whose presence was brought up as a response to Raúl Leal's use of the Iffey Jr. during Season 9.
- Umpire Chaff Littleman (ump_chaff), Head Umpire of Blaseball
- Umpire Steel (ump_steel)
- Umpire Cake (ump_cake)
- Umpire Ravioli (ump_ravioli)
- Umpire Otis (ump_otis)
- Umpire Sunman (ALTERNATE) (ump_sunman (Alternate)) - replaced Sun2man
- Umpire Trash 2 (ump_trash2)
- Umpire Doll (ump_doll)
- Umpire Husky (ump_husky) - Deceased as of September 25, 2020. Season 8, Day 94, backfire due to Iffy Jr.
- Umpire Raúl - Deceased as of October 11, 2020. Season 9 Elections. The Dale won the New Kid blessing, backfiring due to Iffy Jr.
- Umpire Sunman (ump_admin_pope_sunman) - Banned from the Discord as of December 4, 2020
- Umpire Dog - Deceased as of March 8, 2021. Season 13, Day 1, backfire due to Fireproof Mummy Melcon. Supposedly had huge Ego according to ump_trash2.
- Umpire Sun2man (ump_sun2man) - Deceased as of May 17, 2021. Season 19, Day 6, backfire due to Fireproof Paula Turnip.
- Umpire Trash (ump_trash) - Deceased in June, 2021. Is either Umpire Unknown 3, 4, 5, 7, or 8.
- Umpire Unknown (name not given) - Deceased as of June 18, 2021. Season 20, Day 99, backfire due to Fireproof Mooney Doctor II. This mod came from an item which had only been repaired 21 days beforehand.
- Umpire Unknown 2 (name not given) - Deceased as of June 24, 2021. Season 21, Day 76, backfire due to Fireproof Theo King.
- Umpire Unknown 3 (name not given) - Deceased as of June 24, 2021. Season 21, Day 82, backfire due to Unstable Fireproof Chorby Soul V.
- Umpire Unknown 4 (name not given) - Deceased as of June 24, 2021. Season 21, Day 82, backfire due to Unstable Fireproof Chorby Soul V.
- Umpire Unknown 5 (name not given) - Deceased as of June 24, 2021. Season 21, Day 82, backfire due to Unstable Fireproof Chorby Soul V.
- Umpire Unknown 6 (name not given) - Deceased as of June 24, 2021. Season 21, Day 83, backfire due to Fireproof Oliver Loofah.
- Umpire Unknown 7 (name not given) Deceased as of June 25, 2021. Season 21, Day 98, backfire due to Unstable Fireproof Chorby Soul V
- Umpire Unknown 8 (name not given) Deceased as of June 25, 2021. Season 21, Day 98, backfire due to Unstable Fireproof Chorby Soul V
Generic umpires are an informal designation for umpires who are present in every single match of Blaseball, arbitrating rules and adjudicating the game. Generic umpires have not done anything of historical note, but their presence in every match seems to be necessary; either by rulebook or by divine law.
See the main article on this topic: Incineration
Upon the Opening of the Forbidden Book at the end of Season 1, umpires were described as having their "eyes turn white." From this point forward, some games featured a rogue umpire who has the ability to incinerate a Blaseball player at will. It is believed that the practice is not endorsed by Internet League Blaseball, although no umpires have ever been publicly criticized or punished by the League for harming players.
It has been observed that all incinerations (and subsequently, all rogue umpires) only appear during Solar Eclipse weather.
| COMMUNITY LORE|
The remainder of this article contains lore created collaboratively by the Blaseball community.
- The song Debt Collector by @slothfella depicts the events of the Debt Payment of Jaylen Hotdogfingers from the perspective of a Rogue Umpire.
- Umpire Chaff [ump_chaff] (13 Jul 2020). "Hello again Blaseball fans. I’m Chaff Littleman, the head umpire of Blaseball." (Message) - via #announcements, Blaseball Discord.
- Umpire Chaff [ump_chaff] (11 Oct 2020). "RAÚL INCINERATED MY FRIEND RAÚL" (Message) - via #watch-party, Blaseball Discord.
- via Discord: https://discord.com/channels/706414667958059078/732322285196935238/843956314288029736
- https://discord.com/channels/706414667958059078/739593533421256744/855560140660408320 ump_trash did not know the name
|Participation 📣||Teams · Game Log · Concessions · Renovations · Gifts · Election · Idols · Hall of Flame · Feed ·
Siesta · Bloodhouse
|Rules 📜||The Book · Blessings · Decrees · Wills · Weather · Items · Modifications · Ballparks · Incineration ·
Shame · Spillover · Divine Favor · Party Time · Eat The Rich · Shadows · Evolution · eDensity ·
Levels · Sun(Sun)
|Schedule 📅||Schedule · Earlsiesta · Latesiesta · Postseason (Internet Series) · Election|
|Lore 📚||The Book · The Library · Leagues (ILB · ULB · Big Leagues) · Immaterial Plane · Field of Eggs · Hall of Flame ·
Peanuts · Blagonballs · The Desert · The Vault · The Blaseball Beat · The Blaseball Roundup
|Entities 🦑||Players · Fans · Umpires · Blaseball Gods · ⚾ The Commissioner · The Ticker · The Shelled One ·
The Microphone · The Monitor · The Coin · Lōotcrates · The Reader · Namerifeht · The Baristas