Evolution was a League Modification (or Rule) first implemented in the Season 12 elections with the passing of the Based Evolution Decree, stating that "Every Third Championship a Team wins will cause the Team and its Players to Evolve. Players that round the phylogenic Bases will get to go Home."
Evolved Teams gain a special customized team Modification, while evolved players gain a protected star in each category and an additional item slot.
Evolution is a mechanic that was originally introduced during the Season 2 elections as a Decree. During the Season 2 election, the Evolve Decree stated "The team with the most fans will Evolve.". It however did not pass, and was outvoted by The Fourth Strike and Peanuts.
In the Season 12 elections, Based Evolution was offered as one of three possible Decrees the community could vote on to go into effect, alongside the following:
- Title Belt Win the Championship to claim the Belt, then Defend it in Title Matches next Season. The Holder of the Belt is protected from Steals and Swaps and guaranteed a Postseason Birth. Should the Holder win the Championship, they will claim a Title.
- Pennants The Champion of each season will play the following season under Pennants, starting every game at a severe disadvantage. Win the Internet Series under Pennants in order to Repent.
Based Evolution passed with 247,049 Votes, 53% of all Decree Votes, alongside the following message:
- FROM NURSERY TO VAULT
For every third Internet Series championship a team wins, each player on that team's current active roster (i.e. not including Shadows) advances by a single evolutionary "base" (the first evolution being from "Base" to "Base 1"), and the team is granted a unique permanent modification thematically related to the specific team. Player evolution is a one-off effect – unevolved players transferred to evolved teams will not evolve, and evolved players transferred to unevolved teams will retain their evolutionary level.
If a player has the Base 1 evolution, their first star in each category is protected, indicated by that star turning gold and gaining a circle around it. The player then can never have their stars reduced below that level, meaning Base 1 players will always have at least one star in each stat category. As of the introduction of the Items tab at the end of Season 15, evolved players also unlock a number of additional item slots corresponding to their evolution – for example, Base 1 players have two available item slots instead of one.
|Team||Times Evolved||When||Team Modifications|
|Atlantis Georgias 🔱||1||Unknown; by Season 12||If this Team ever has negative Runs, they'll Overperform for the rest of the game. Undersea|
|Baltimore Crabs 🦀||1||Unknown; by Season 12||When this Team activates the Black Hole, they will steal their opponent's best hitter for the remainder of the game. Carcinization|
|Core Mechanics 🛠️||1||Unknown; by Season 12||Whenever a Player on this Team is Impaired, they'll receive the Fourth Out for the remainder of the game. Maintenance Mode|
|Ohio Worms 🐌||1||Unknown; by Season 12||Bottom Dweller|
|Hades Tigers 🐅||1||Season 12 Election||When a Player is incinerated in a game this Team is playing, a Hall of Flame Player will join their Shadows. Ambush|
|New Hampshire Eggplants 🍆||1||Unknown; by Season 22||This Team plays 20% better in Night Weather. Nightshade[note 1]|
|Canada Moist Talkers 🗣️||1||Season 23 Election||When Runners on this Team are cleared via Flooding, they'll become Slippery for the remainder of the game. Flood Bath|
Players have been able evolve without their team on several occasions due to blessings including:
- The Season 14 Blessing, Targeted Evolution which causes a random pitcher and a random hitter on your Team to Advance.
- The Season 18 Blessing, Targeted Evolution which causes a random pitcher and a random hitter on your Team to Advance.
- The Season 19 Blessing, Targeted Evolution which causes a random pitcher and a random hitter on your Team to Advance.
- The Season 20 Blessing, Targeted Evolution which causes a random pitcher and a random hitter on your Team to Advance.
- The Season 21 Blessing, Shadow Evolution which causes Every Player in your Team's Shadows to Advance.
- Won by the Canada Moist Talkers and awarded to all of the players in their shadows.
- The Season 23 Blessing, Season 14: Targeted Evolution which causes a random pitcher and a random hitter on your Team to Advance.
A full list of players with Base 1 Evolution can be found here.
A full list of players with Base 2 Evolution can be found here.
- Assumed to be an Evolution mod.
|Participation 📣||Teams · Game Log · Concessions · Renovations · Gifts · Election · Idols · Hall of Flame · Feed · Siesta · Bloodhouse · Badges|
|Rules 📜||The Book · Weather · Modifications · Items · Ballparks · Incineration · Shame · Spillover · Divine Favor · 🎉 Party Time · Eat The Rich · Shadows · Evolution · eDensity (Levels) · Sun(Sun) · The Underbracket|
|Schedule 📅||Schedule · Earlsiesta · Latesiesta · Postseason (Internet Series) · Election|
|Election 🗳️||Decrees · Blessings · Wills · 🎉 Party Favors · Amplifications · Distortions · Circuits · Charges|
|Lore 📚||The Book · The Library · Leagues (ILB · ULB · Big Leagues) · Immaterial Plane · Field of Eggs · Hall of Flame · Peanuts · Blagonballs · Blaseball 2 · The Desert · The Vault · The Blaseball Beat · The Blaseball Roundup|
|Entities 🦑||Players · Fans · Umpires · ⚾ The Commissioner · The Ticker · The Shelled One · The Microphone · The Monitor · The Coin · Lōotcrates · The Reader · Namerifeht · The Baristas · A Shelled One|